Windows Media encoding sssssslllllllloooooooowwwwwww
Windows Media encoding has become frustratingly slow since upgrading to Episode 7 (7.2 currently).
Anyone else experiencing glacial encode times for Windows Media files with Episode Pro 7? I tried making a fresh encoder task but it is still painfully slow. The results are fine, it just takes too long to get there.
I finally had some time to get back to this issue today. It's good to be busy. :-)
System specs: Mac Pro (2013) 8 core @ 3 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, macOS 10.11.6
I'm using a ProRes 444 source file (1920 x 1080, 23.976 fps), 30 seconds.
I used the same settings between Episode 7.2 and 6.5, which I've provided screenshots of below. Episode 7.2 takes about five and a half minutes to encode the file with my WMV settings. Episode 6.5 takes less than two minutes. That's a pretty significant difference.
It gets much worse when comparing it to an encode to an H.264 MP4 with comparable settings (using x264). I get near real-time encoding with x264, and the core utilization appears to be much better (i.e. more cores with higher loads) during the encode of the H.264 file when compared to the load during the WMV file encode.
So, the gist of it is that I'm getting about 11x slower encodes when using WMV vs. x264. And this used to be more like a 5x difference under Episode 6.5.