ScreenFlow 8.2.3 Released May 8, 2019
8.2.3 – Changes
• FIXED - "Align" not working correctly with video/audio clips being selected
• FIXED - Adding markers are not saved when recording from a template.
• FIXED - Allow a Style to be added to multiple selected clips at once
• FIXED - Cannot control+click to delete track in timeline
• FIXED - Cannot export beyond 4k using hardware accelerated encoding
• FIXED - 'Encounted' text appears in different runtime errors
• FIXED - Entering Chinese text causes runtime error
• FIXED - German language causing truncation and interactivity issues
• FIXED - Hardware Encoding option greyed out on VEGA MacBook Pro
• FIXED - Imported MP4 causes spinning wheel with long load time for audio waveform
• FIXED - MAS: Create KB article for adding ScreenFlowHelper to Accessibility in Security/Privacy
• FIXED - Misspelling in error message
• FIXED - Mouse incorrectly showing as twice the regular size
• FIXED - Offer "opt out" for Dropbox warning.
• FIXED - Runtime error when selecting multiple clips in timeline
• FIXED - Runtime error when using control-click to select a clip
• FIXED - Runtime errors during editing causing multiple issues
• FIXED - ScreenFlow 10.14 SDK build throwing error pop up message when launching.
• FIXED - ScreenFlow MAS Licenses tab UI cut off when set to Japanese language
• FIXED - ScreenFlow MAS preferences UI cut off when set to French language
• FIXED - ScreenFlow Text Inspector Font menu in "Light-Mode" on 10.14 Mojave too hard to read
• FIXED - Timeline Tab UI shows cut off text when ScreenFlow is localized
• FIXED - Unable to create a new document at max supported resolution
• FIXED - Unable to save project after deleting a file from the Global Library
• FIXED - Undoing text action & then changing fps of document causes 'Illegal Instruction' crash.
8.2.2 – Changes
• FIXED – In some scenarios, making edits/changes and undoing can show a SCUndoManager Runtime Error
8.2.1 – Changes
• FIXED - Document Settings option causes "Cannot find document properties" Error when re-opening project 8.2 – Changes
• IMPROVED – Added messaging for customers who are opening projects from Dropbox
• IMPROVED – Renamed Camera and Screen Recording Template Placeholder clips to “Camera and Microphone” and “Screen Recording and Computer Audio” respectively.
• IMPROVED – Stock Media Library – Added the ability to specify the format to download Fixes:
• FIXED - ScreenFlow crashes when applying Chroma Key to media files
• FIXED - Canvas does not appear in 10.14.1 (18B67a) for ScreenFlow projects
• FIXED - Reverse Clip no longer works correctly after update
• FIXED - JVC camera files unplayable in ScreenFlow 8
• FIXED - Error locating file message shows after renaming a document then making a split
• FIXED - Removed Actions Templates from ScreenFlow UI
• FIXED - Show Keystrokes Accessibility message not localized
• FIXED - Unable to use shortcut keys to jump scrubber from beginning/end of media in Timeline while the Timeline is detached
• FIXED - Able to add multiple copies of 'recording' files to the Global Library
• FIXED - By default 'Stereo' is not selectable on the display thumbnails/waveforms menu
• FIXED - 2160x3840 resolution files display incorrectly in ScreenFlow
• FIXED - 848x360 resolution files display incorrectly in ScreenFlow
• FIXED - 720x404 resolution files display incorrectly in ScreenFlow
• FIXED - New sections of publishing to YouTube not showing as being localized
• FIXED - Font Menu>Make Text Properties Default never becomes active
• FIXED - Audio/Video filter sliders/options show reverse order when comparing to older versions of ScreenFlow
• FIXED - Publish to YouTube second window not localized when system language is set to Spanish
• FIXED - Camera and Microphone access prompts are not localized
• FIXED - Creating a New Document activates the 'Undo' from the Edit menu.
• FIXED - German translation of 'light' motion blur is incorrect
• FIXED - Stock Media - Previews Do Not Play while Downloading to Timeline
• FIXED - Stereo waveforms do not show properly when track thumbnails is on
• FIXED - 'Select parameters to store in styles' is cut off when ScreenFlow is in German
• FIXED - Stock Media Library 'Learn More' text is not localized
8.1 – Changes
• IMPROVED - Stock Media - Add a Beats per Minute (BPM) option in the Metadata/Filtering section
• IMPROVED - Separate Template Placeholders for Mic and Computer Audio
• IMPROVED - Ability to make multiple templates from an existing template
• FIXED - .SCC files getting corrupted when working with project saved to Dropbox.
• FIXED - Adding a clip from a .scc file with multiple clips adds all clips to the Global Library
• FIXED - Annotations UI displays incorrectly after 'Reset to Defaults' or applying a Style
• FIXED - Cannot save regular ScreenFlow document with same name as template
• FIXED - Cannot save the project - error "The document Untitled" could not be saved File name too long.
• FIXED - Cannot Scroll within Detached Timeline
• FIXED - Clicking Top Menu>Window>Zoom while detached timeline is selected causes preview window to
• FIXED - Crash when quickly opening and closing video preview
• FIXED - Deleting a file from the Global Library doesn't remove the file from the Timeline
• FIXED - Do not show Dark/Light mode options for ScreenFlow on Mojave OS; follow system preference for
• FIXED - Dragging a Screen Recording and Microphone recording to the timeline shows incorrect order
• FIXED - Exiting ScreenFlow before a Stock Media file downloads will cause the loss of the media file from the
• FIXED - Expired text does not show in Licenses Tab of Preferences when a Stock Media Library entitlement has expired
• FIXED - Files added to the global media library in version 7 do not appear in version 8
• FIXED - Having 'Detached Timeline' selected grays out Export option from the file menu.
• FIXED - HEVC file crashing ScreenFlow when added to timeline.
• FIXED - Item is removed from global library if a file with the same name is added twice.
• FIXED - Keyboard shortcuts for timeline controls do not affect the detached timeline when it is selected
• FIXED - Mojave - Keystroke 'Command Z' crashes ScreenFlow after adding a clip to timeline.
• FIXED - Mojave - Undoing Replace media results in broken display on canvas.
• FIXED - Mojave- Editing canvas resolution shows choppy/delayed behavior
• FIXED - New Hotkeys are not shown as they are entered on Mojave
• FIXED - Only modifier keys are shown with Show Keystrokes on Mojave
• FIXED - Only one file is added to the Canvas/Timeline when dragging multiple files from the Media Library on macOS 10.14
• FIXED - Partial Screen Capture runs into Accessibility access message which causes beach ball non-responsive state.
• FIXED - PDF causes scaling error when using Replace Media
• FIXED - Preset drop down menu within the New Document tab showing incorrect length
• FIXED - Record from iOS device is cut off when ScreenFlow is in French
• FIXED - Removing Video Filter results in Video Properties Panel displaying incorrectly
• FIXED - Replace media results in broken display on canvas
• FIXED - Right-click menu in Media Library does not function when selecting all media using shortcut key cmd+a
• FIXED - Save as Template window can be resized on Mojave
• FIXED - Save Frame JPG has a PNG file extension
• FIXED - Scale buttons do not work after an action
• FIXED - ScreenFlow App 'breaks' after selecting undo from the Edit menu on 10.14 Beta
• FIXED - ScreenFlow crashes after undoing the creation of a nest on 10.14 Beta OS
• FIXED - Selecting Reset to Defaults from the Audio Mix gear menu shows an Unrecognized selector Runtime Error if used after an Audio Action
• FIXED - Show Thumbnail selection not working from contextual menu.
• FIXED - Sliders within dropdowns in the Inspector panel are exposed outside of the dropdowns on Mojave
• FIXED - Some buttons don't contrast well on Mojave
• FIXED - Spelling error in the unrecognized format notification.
• FIXED - Starting playback of audio in ScreenFlow 8 while using Bluetooth headsets causes audio to play
through internal speakers
• FIXED - Stock Media Cannot Be Previewed Error...
• FIXED - Stock Media Library html page is resizable
• FIXED - Thumbnail state is ignored when closing and reopening a project after changing what Thumbnails to
• FIXED - Update "New Documents" to include presets for iPhone X
• FIXED - Welcome screen activates the user’s camera even when option is not selected.
• FIXED - White highlights showing when ScreenFlow is in Dark Mode UI on 10.14 OS
8.0 - New Features
● Stock Media Library - Gain access to an always growing library of well over 500,000 images, audio, video clips and more with ScreenFlow’s new built in Stock Media Library. Browse the library and add transitions, motion backgrounds, royalty-free backing tracks and more simply by dragging them to your timeline from the Stock Media Library tab! (Additional Fee).
● Track Thumbnails - Now you can see a quick and easy visual representation of your content via thumbnails displayed over the duration of a media file. Easily identify scene changes and areas of interest. No need to scrub through content to find specific moments!
● Styles - Always want your camera in a certain spot with specific filters and a drop shadow? Well, regardless of the edits you make to any assets in your projects, you can now save those settings as “Styles” to easily re-use over and over. A massive time saver. Combine with templates for a mostly automated workflow!
● Templates - If you make multiple videos with a similar format, ScreenFlow’s new Templates feature will save a ton of time! Simply create the template using placeholders for your camera, screen, or iOS recording, then add any other recurring media. Now when you finish recording, all your assets are already placed in the correct spot in the timeline and canvas! Combine with Styles applied to your placeholders for a mostly automated workflow!
● Quick Narration & Voice-Over Additions - Need to record a quick audio clip? Quick narrations allow you to add narrations or voice-overs without leaving the timeline or configuring a traditional recording.
● Detachable Editing Timeline - The new detachable editing timeline allows for a more customizable editing experience and enables multi-monitor editing by separating the editing timeline and canvas on to different monitors.
● Additional Timeline Frame Rates - Additional Timeline Frame Rates of 24, 25, and 50 have been added. These are in addition to the existing 30 and 60 options.
● Export Animated PNG (APNG) Files - ScreenFlow now supports APNG export. Like GIF’s, APNG’s are single file moving pictures that support transparent backgrounds but allow for higher quality and smaller sizes!
● Freehand Annotation - Custom shapes and lines can now be drawn directly onto the ScreenFlow canvas for highly customizable annotations.
● Instagram Project and Export Presets - Uploading to Instagram? ScreenFlow has you covered with built in project dimensions and export settings specific to everyone’s favorite social image site!
Instagram requires user to copy exported video to phone to publish.
● Frame for Selected Monitor – When choosing your recording monitor, a red frame now indicates the
current selection...no need to remember monitor model numbers!
● H.265/HEVC Decoding - Previously, HEVC could only be exported in ScreenFlow 7. You can now import and edit files encoded with HEVC such as iPhone X 4k recordings.
● Arrange Menu - Various new options such as alignment, scale, and distribute allow you to more quickly arrange your media within your project.
● Auto-Scale Large Imports – ScreenFlow will now automatically scale imported media to fit the canvas if the dimensions of the media are larger than the canvas.
● Burn in Captions on Export - You can now burn-in captions if you need captions in a player that does not support caption tracks. Simply check the box during export.
● Content-Type Badge for Items in Media Libraries - Media within your library now has a badge overlay depicting the type of media for easier identification.
● Keyboard Shortcuts for "Close Gap" - Users can now set a custom keyboard shortcut for the “close gaps” function. Multi-select gaps and close with one shortcut.
● Media Library Filtering System & Metadata Panel - New filtering system for the media libraries with metadata display tab. Click the filter button in the library pane to display.
● Preview Audio and Video in Libraries Without Adding them to the Timeline - Audio and video files in libraries can now be previewed without first adding them to the timeline.
● Save Frame as JPEG - Quickly export the current content as a still JPEG image.
● Select Which Audio Channels are Recorded with Audio Interface Devices - Users can now select specific channels to record of a multi-channel audio interface. You no longer need to record all available channels.
● Support Decoding MOV PNG Files - You can now add and work with MOV PNG files in ScreenFlow.
● Support for GoPro CineForm Codec - ScreenFlow now supports the GoPro CineForm codec for import
● Specify the Thumbnail Image for a YouTube Published Export - Now when publishing directly to YouTube, you can use ScreenFlow to select the image to be used as the YouTube thumbnail.
● Upload to YouTube on a Schedule - When publishing to YouTube, you can now select and schedule a time in which you would like the video to be published.
8.0 - Improvements & Fixes
● IMPROVED - Add custom shortcut options for captions Play/Previous/Next functions
● IMPROVED - Allow recordings to be added either in sequence or layered when being added to the timeline
● IMPROVED - Enable duration labels by default in the media libraries
● IMPROVED - Media replacement will now maintain the same proportions as the piece being replaced
● IMPROVED - Reword "Publish to Selected Range" menu item to "Publish Selected Range to"
● IMPROVED - Show duration of selected clip in the bottom project duration display area
● IMPROVED - Show the full name of a media file in the Media Library when the cursor hovers over it
● IMPROVED - Show the Scratch Disk folder path in Preferences
● IMPROVED - State that there were no results to display when a search returns no results in the libraries.
● IMPROVED - Uncheck 'Record Computer Audio' when the user changes versions
● IMPROVED - Update Apple iOS devices preset export options
● FIXED - 1/2 second Exports Hang ScreenFlow indefinitely (30 & 60fps).
● FIXED - Able to make the frontend window full screen on 10.13.
● FIXED - Add to timeline stacked puts clips stacked in reverse order from original recording.
● FIXED - Adding a new video recording + audio recording to an already open project, adds the files in sequence.
● FIXED - APNG preview in media catalog appears as a static image.
● FIXED - Apple Lossless Audio clips not playing in timeline.
● FIXED - Audio filters that are specified with a percentage value, require user to enter the % symbol after the value, otherwise value is treated as invalid.
● FIXED - Audio mix reset option changes channels to be L and R instead of how they were set at the beginning of the recording
● FIXED - Audio Unit UI does not display correctly on first use
● FIXED - Can no longer input custom percentage for resolution on export
● FIXED – Certain H264 .MOV files will open in ScreenFlow but video and audio will not play
● FIXED - Clips are not normalized correctly when pasting between different FPS timelines
● FIXED - Double clicking a. SCC file in media catalog can sometimes add the incorrect clip to timeline
● FIXED - Export resolution doesn't change when preset is changed to iPhone, iPad, etc.
● FIXED - Freehand Rectangle Callout shifts the entire clip on the canvas a few pixels (Partial Screen Capture Only)
● FIXED - Improve demo version messaging to ensure users are aware they are in demo mode
● FIXED - Make Settings Default function not affecting annotations
● FIXED - Pasting annotation from a different canvas sizes, offsets the bounding box
● FIXED - Photo JPEG .MOV files not displaying in ScreenFlow 7
● FIXED - Recent Documents - Text is hard to read when using the Light UI theme
● FIXED - Relink icon disappears after closing and relaunching ScreenFlow
● FIXED - Right clicking in timeline negates multi-selection of gaps
● FIXED - Right-click context menu does not update to show changed shortcut keys
● FIXED - Save custom mouse pointer
● FIXED - Screen recording pointer is not reset with Reset to Defaults
● FIXED - Scroll bar not showing properly in video and text property tabs
● FIXED - Some MPEG-1 files have issues playing back in ScreenFlow
● FIXED - Support MOV PNG files
NOTE: These are inherently taxing and may not play back smoothly during editing. This does not affect the final output when exporting from ScreenFlow.
● FIXED - Thumbnails between the left and right-side Media Libraries do not update correctly when relinking media
● FIXED - Welcome Screen text aligns improperly when window is enlarged
Version 8.0 contains hundreds of bug fixes, not all of which can be listed here. There are also additional user interface/user experience enhancements, and improvements to the general stability and performance of the application, that are not able to be listed here.