Elgato StreamDeck Plugin BETA - August 20, 2019
Hello Wirecast Users!
We are happy to announce this BETA version of our all-new Elgato Stream Deck plugin! This plugin will allow you to use your Stream Deck as a control surface for Wirecast. Please put it through its paces and report your feedback in our Beta Discussions group.
- A Stream Deck board is needed (plugged into your computer via USB), along with the Stream Deck software relevant to your OS (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/downloads).
- This plugin can be used on either Windows or MacOS.
- Minimum software versions:
- Windows: 10
- MacOS: 10.12
- Stream Deck: 4.1
- Download the Beta plugin file in the attachment to the Forum post (called net.telestream.wirecast.streamDeckPlugin.zip)
- Open the downloaded file
- A confirmation message will appear, asking if you want to install the plugin. Click 'Install'.
- For the plugin to work properly, there should be exactly one Wirecast document open on your computer.
- Upon installing the plugin, there should be a new category of actions named 'Wirecast' located near the bottom of the Action Pane of the Stream Deck GUI.
- The actions listed under 'Wirecast' should be 'Go', 'Broadcast', 'Record', and 'Shot'.
- Placing Wirecast actions on the Stream Deck grid works the same way as any. Simply drag an icon onto a grid spot. The display of the grid in the GUI should mirror what appears on your Stream Deck board.
- 'Go' action:
- Pressing the 'Go' action on the Stream Deck board performs the same actions as clicking 'Go' in the Wirecast GUI.
- 'Broadcast' action:
- Pressing the 'Broadcast' action performs the same actions as clicking 'Start / Stop Broadcasting' in the Wirecast GUI.
- The button's image should be greyed out when Wirecast IS NOT broadcasting. The image should have color when Wirecast IS broadcasting.
- 'Record' action:
- Pressing the 'Record' action performs the same actions as clicking 'Start / Stop Recording' in the Wirecast GUI.
- The button's image should be greyed out when Wirecast IS NOT recording. The image should have color when Wirecast IS recording.
- 'Shot' action:
- Each shot can be configured in its Property Inspector in the Stream Deck GUI.
- The shot action has 3 'modes' (default mode: 'By Grid Position'):
- 'By Grid Position':
- This mode maps the current shot action to the shot in Wirecast that corresponds to the current Stream Deck grid location.
- Example: Placing a shot in the upper left-hand corner of the Stream Deck grid with the mode 'By Grid Position' will map this shot to the 'Clear Layer' shot of the 'text' layer (1st layer) in Wirecast.
- 'By Index':
- This mode allows you to choose the shot in Wirecast that this shot action maps to by selecting the master layer number and the index number. Shot index 0 is the 'Clear Layer' shot of every layer.
- 'By Name':
- This mode allows you to choose the shot in Wirecast that this shot action maps to by entering the name of the shot.
- 'By Grid Position':
- Once the shot action is properly mapped to a shot in Wirecast by one of the above methods, pressing the action on the Stream Deck board performs the same actions as clicking on the corresponding shot in the Wirecast GUI.
- The displayed image of a shot on the Stream Deck grid notifies you of whether the Wirecast shot is LIVE, IN PREVIEW, both, or neither:
- LIVE: a red dot is displayed on top of the shot's regular icon
- IN PREVIEW: a green dot is displayed
- Both: a red dot is displayed (same behavior as in Wirecast)
- Neither: no dot displayed; regular shot icon is displayed
- When in 'By Name' mode, the name entered should also display as the action's Title unless the Title has a non-empty entry in the Property Inspector.
- When in 'By Grid Position' or 'By Index' modes, the action's layer and index numbers should display as the action's Title in the form "Layer: <#>\nIndex: <#>" unless the Title has a non-empty entry in the Property Inspector.
- There is currently no way to check if a Wirecast document is recording or broadcasting through AppleScript, therefore no way to check this in the MacOS plugin. Result:
- Anytime a broadcast or record action is added to the Stream Deck grid or the Stream Deck application is loaded with previously added broadcast/record actions, Wirecast is assumed to be in a state of NOT BROADCASTING and NOT RECORDING (icons are greyed out).
- The broadcast and record images do not sync with Wirecast. For example, if you click 'Start Recording' in the Wirecast GUI, the image on the Stream Deck grid will not turn to color. It still assumes Wirecast is NOT RECORDING.
- To 'sync' the record/broadcast actions with Wirecast when they are out of sync, simply press the record/broadcast action that is out of sync. For example, if Wirecast is broadcasting, but the broadcast image on the Stream Deck grid is greyed out, press the broadcast action and its image will display color.
- There are a few known issues when working with this in the Wirecast 13 Beta, that we are continuing to work on. Please take these into consideration as you’re testing this plugin.
- WIRE-16231: [In Wirecast 13 Beta only] When you move a shot on a layer, Stream Deck does not recognize its new position, and will retain its grid and index position as the ORIGINAL location it was.
- WIRE-16247: [In Wirecast 13 Beta only] When you click on a Stream Deck button that is assigned to a shot, the yellow outline does not appear around the selected shot
- WIRE-16249: [In Wirecast 13 Beta only] When you drag multiple shots onto a layer at once, their shot indexes become inverted
Enjoy! And let us know what you think on the Beta Discussions group.