0

No Automatic Background Removal Filter - Only Chroma Key

I would like to try the automatic background removal filter.  This does not seem to be an available option to me.  I have tried it with several Screenflow files and the only filter for background removal is chroma key.

I downloaded a new version of Screenflow 10.0.4 and installed, but it didn't make any difference.

I am on a 13" 2020 MacBook Pro, OS with a 24" secondary monitor.
OS 10.15.7 Catalina with 32 GB RAM on a 4 TB Internal HD and two external HDs.
Screenflow is v 10.0.4 with no external recording devices.
Scratch disk location is 4 TB internal HD with 2.76 TB free space.

I have searched the internet for suggestions but it seems that Ii am the only one with the problem.  I would appreciate it very much if someone could tell me how I get the automatic background removal filter to be available.

Thank you
 

20replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • I haven't used this feature yet but it's definitely shown in this video:

    https://youtu.be/L22TSgwyJoA

    I too would find this useful. Tried on both my intel Mac and M1 Mac and shows up in neither place. 

    Like
  • Yes I have watched many videos and they all show it, but it is not showing in my version.  I'm glad you are experiencing the same thing.  I thought it was just me since I couldn't find anything on the internet, but maybe it is just that people have not tried it yet.  Thanks for your input.  I hope I get an answer from Telestream soon.

    Like
    • CraigSModerator
    • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
    • CraigS
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view
    Mary Pearson said:
    I downloaded a new version of Screenflow 10.0.4 and installed, but it didn't make any difference.

    Have you selected a webcam or camera track as shown in the video Matthew links to?
    It won't appear if you select a screen recording.

     Can you post a screenshot from 10.0.4 of the Video Filter window where that filter would be along with the selected webcam shot?

    Like
  • Ah, that makes it clear-er. Is this in the documentation? (I haven't looked at it in this case.) Are there tips for removal? I'd say when I tested just now the auto removal was 90% effective, but the other 10% remaining is pretty ugly. If there are guidelines to help prep a room for this effect I'll definitely abide by them when I want to use this feature for real. 

    Like
  • No, I have not selected a webcam or camera track.  This is a video from a client that I have been asked to edit.  Is there a way he can send me the video that I can use the background removal filter?

    Like
    • CraigSModerator
    • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
    • CraigS
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view
    Mathew Mitchell said:
    Is this in the documentation? (

     Does not mention that it does not work with screen recordings. 

    Like
    • CraigSModerator
    • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
    • CraigS
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view
    Mary Pearson said:
    Is there a way he can send me the video that I can use the background removal filter?

     Recording from a webcam should work. For example, a webcam recording in Quicktime and save will work.

     

    Mathew Mitchell said:
    I tested just now the auto removal was 90% effective, but the other 10% remaining is pretty ugly.

     That's the nature of "automatic." Other programs have a similar feature and the degree of success varies. The best is to use a very simple background and the subject has clean and high contrast edges for the best background detection.

    Like
  • Thank you so much.  I just had to export it as an mp4 and use that.  The auto background removal is then available to me.  Much appreciated!!!!!!!

    Like
      • CraigSModerator
      • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
      • CraigS
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

      Mary Pearson You're welcome. We need to improve documentation on this. There's no explanation that it needs camera video (whether from ScreenFlow or imported).

      Like
  • I have had an opportunity to give it a try, and the edges are pretty ragged.  Is there a way to clean them up?  Thank you.

    Like
    • CraigSModerator
    • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
    • CraigS
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view
    Mary Pearson said:
    the edges are pretty ragged.

     At the moment it's the nature of the technology. You can see the same issue in Zoom and Teams which has a similar feature. A chroma key will always give you more control and better results.

    Making sure the edges are distinct (not soft or frayed) with good contrast when shooting helps if you're shooting with automatic background removal in mind.

    Like
  • Thank you.  That's what I figured.  I have just suggested my client buy and Elgato green screen.  I have one and I love it.  He has just ordered it.  ;-)

    Like
      • CraigSModerator
      • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
      • CraigS
      • 9 mths ago
      • Reported - view

      Mary Pearson 👍

      Like
  • Mary Pearson With your recommendation I've bought the same green screen! It was always difficult for me to tell what product to buy ... but I know Elegato does a great job with other products. I just had no idea they made green screens. Is it okay if I ask you questions once I get it? 

    Like
  • Yes of course. It's pretty straight forward. My email address is mary@bestwebsites.ca if you want to take it off this forum.

    Like
  • Mary Pearson  Thanks, you are very kind. I don't think I'll have any questions about basic setup. But may have questions about how to optimize use/placement of screen especially when I have some lights involved. I should get the Elegato tomorrow so hopefully I can test it out sometime in the next 2-3 days. Will email you with any questions. 

    Like
  • It's really just a matter of trial and error re positioning.

    Like
    • CraigSModerator
    • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
    • CraigS
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view

    There's a company that makes green screens that attach to the back of a chair. 
    https://thewebaround.com/product-category/backdrops/

    Like
  • CraigS Thanks so much for the reaction. I purchased the Elegato mainly because of their brand, but more importantly so it does NOT need to be directly behind me. (I record myself at a slight angle.) 

    Yesterday I did an initial test with the Elegato and it worked just fine with ScreenFlow with Chroma Key. However selecting the right green to go with the screen seems kind of tricky. I'm used to web design where I can just insert a specific Hex # to get the color right. It seems what I should be doing is trying to click on the green in the upper left of the color square provided. Correct? (Gray is in the bottom right.) Or is there a more precise way (like a Hex#) to get the green color picked correctly?

    Like
    • CraigSModerator
    • Telestream Desktop Forum Moderator
    • CraigS
    • 9 mths ago
    • Reported - view
    Mathew Mitchell said:
    However selecting the right green to go with the screen seems kind of tricky.

     We're certainly looking to improve that but there's some underlying work to be done.

    Mathew Mitchell said:
    It seems what I should be doing is trying to click on the green in the upper left of the color square provided

     See this thread.

    Like
Like Follow
  • 9 mths agoLast active
  • 20Replies
  • 34Views
  • 3 Following