HOW TO LOWER CPU USE
How to lower CPU use in Wirecast.
- Frame Rate - Use 30fps instead of 60fps
- Use Intel QuickSync (Windows), NVENC (Windows), Apple H.264 (Mac) instead of x264
- If you must use or prefer x264 encoder, change Quality to 2 Super Fast or 1 Ultra Fast (may lower quality of course)
- Use smaller frame size (and Canvas to match).
- Wirecast > Preferences > Performance disable Live icons
- Turn off Preview Window if not needed
- When playing back files use I-Frame sources instead of H.264 sources as they are easier to decode
- Frame size should be no larger than canvas size, this includes stills.
- Uncompressed (HDMI and SDI) video source tend to use less CPU to decode than other types.
- Use fewer sources if possible.
- Recording using MJPEG MOV (Windows) or Apple ProRes MOV (Mac) uses less CPU than H.264 codec (although more drive space).
- Streaming and recording using the same encoder uses less CPU than two different encoders
- Stream to one destination (and share) rather than multiple destinations
- Quite all programs not needed for streaming
- Don't have browser open monitoring stream on the same computer you're streaming from
- i7 processors are better than i5 More cores are better. Newer generation Processors are generally better within a given family
- Most Xeon Processors (there are a few exceptions) don't support Intel QuickSync (Windows) or Apple H.264 (Mac). iMac Pro supports Apple H.264 through the AMD GPU though.